Hi--happy Thursday! I hope your week has treated you well so far. I feel like mine has been non-stop, but on the upside, the busy schedule has left little time for my mind & nerves to think about my first half-marathon this weekend! I can't believe the race is already here--it seems like I just shared my training plan and started preparing. Time flies! I'm nervous, but also incredibly excited for the experience and hopeful for a good outcome. I have a feeling I'm going to be hooked afterwards...
Here are a few half-marathon must haves & training essentials that I won't be found without:
- A solid, comfortable sports bra. Can you have too many?
- I usually wear a headband to keep my hair out of my face, but recently I've been wearing a visor to take care of that and block the sun.
- Lightweight and breathable tank tops are a lifesaver.
- A GPS watch. My boyfriend gave me this Garmin watch for Christmas two years ago and I've used it on every run since. I have it in pink and love it, especially the virtual pacer feature and it's smaller size.
- Headphones. Although I've been running sans music lately and chatting with friends instead, I know I will need a great playlist to get me from 0 to 13.1. Any favorite running songs?? I need all the help I can get!
- Running capris. I've tried a bunch, but these Compression Capris from Old Navy are my favorite. I have a stockpile because I'm worried they'll get discontinued.
- Running shorts. Gotta have 'em.
- Good quality shoes. I don't replace mine as often as I should, but investing in a good running shoe improved my running & helps prevent injury. I love the Mizuno Wave Riders--I've worn out several pairs of these & just got new ones last week.
- Water & fuel. I doubt I will carry a water bottle on Sunday since they'll have stations, but scheduling my long run routes around water fountains made the biggest difference in my training. I also plan to refuel with a couple of these throughout the run.
The only thing missing is a strong, rested pair of legs :) Wish me luck!! Have you ever run a half-marathon? Any last minute tips you want to share with a first-timer? Music suggestions? I'm all ears!