Sometimes, in the midst of work, family, friends and everyday life "to-dos", creative outlets get pushed to the back burner. Listen, I know it happens--but there are things you can do to help! Here are 5 ways I strive to keep creativity present in my day-to-day life:
- LOOK UP - Okay--I am beyond guilty of this one. Stop looking down at your phone when you walk, when you're in the elevator, at the grocery store, etc. Look up and take part in what is going on around you. Just engage & observe. I’m working on it!
- STEP OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE - Don’t know how to blog? Start one. New to web design? Take a class. Hate confrontation? Stand up for what you deserve. You will never know and never learn if you never DO.
- ENJOY THE LITTLE THINGS - Take pleasure in what you do from day to day. Don’t forget about the everyday small things—they are often what makes life interesting!
- TAKE A BREAK - Feeling overwhelmed and over-stimulated? I know this happens to me often. There’s so much to know/see/learn/do out there. Take a break from your computer. Go outside. Get some fresh air and soak it up.
- WRITE IT DOWN - #5 speaks straight to this list-lover’s heart. Keep a running list (on your phone, on paper, on your hand—who cares!) of your ideas. Jot things down that inspire you and make you happy. You never know when you could use them.
Even though some of these tips may seem counterproductive (a break with this workload??), they always get my creative juices flowing and help my productivity overall. Let me know if you try them out!
How you you keep creative? Any tips you could add to my list? I’d love to hear from you!